Books, Films, and Other Things You Should Discover, In No Particular Order

  • Volbeat (music)
  • Autumn by David Moody
  • Martyrs (film)
  • Yourself
  • Ralph Waldo Emerson (author/philosopher)
  • John Saul (author)
  • John 5 (music)
  • Dawn of Ashes (music)
  • Hocico (music)
  • Grendel (music)
  • Psyclon Nine (music)
  • Bhutan (country)
  • Caodaism (religion)
  • Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill (book)
  • Vincent by Tim Burton (short fim)
  • Sugar (short film...adorable!!)
  • Spider (short film)
  • Alice's Adventures In Wonderland by Charles Lutwidge Dodgson (book)
  • To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee (book)

Monday, May 3, 2010

Hmmmmmmm.......

Well, there isn't too much to write about tonight I suppose. My apologies to all!!!!!!! I had some other, more important (sorry blog but it's true!!) things to attend to.

That being said, I'll leave you with my very first book review (yay!) to make up for the lack of topics to discuss with you.

Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill

Now-let me begin this by stating a fact: Joe Hill is the son of Stephen King. Another fact: he is also an author. One more for the road: this book is DEFINITELY worth a read (or more!!). I found a copy at my local library, and I'm sure you can do the same as well at yours..but it is definitely worth the purchase if you choose to buy it.

The book begins by introducing the main characters, as all novels do. The MAIN main character (haha) is an ex-metal rock star, dating a goth girl many years younger than him. His obsession lies with his collection of odd items: one is a videotape of a murder, some skulls, the gothic list goes on and on. His personal assistant and he decide to purchase a dead man's suit, and come to find out, the purchase was rigged. He is now haunted by this dead man (I cannot tell you who the man is, or it will give some things away) and must find a way to rid himself of the ghost before he is killed, along with his girlfriend and other loved ones. I found this book to be entertaining-a great read for a rainy day, or any other day, where you need some alone-with-a-book time. While the book may sound like a gothic/metalhead novel, it is about the paranormal-and the goth world is not involved, other than the girlfriend being gothic herself. On a scale of one to five, I would rate this book a four and a half-leaving half off, because it prevented me from accomplishing the daily tasks I wanted to accomplish that day. Haha!!

This book was recommended to me by a friend, and I honestly was skeptical about reading it..but it turned out to be totally worth the time I spent on it. I now recommend this book to you. If you take the time to read it, I hope you enjoy it!! It will not be a waste of your time.

No comments: