Books, Films, and Other Things You Should Discover, In No Particular Order

  • Volbeat (music)
  • Autumn by David Moody
  • Martyrs (film)
  • Yourself
  • Ralph Waldo Emerson (author/philosopher)
  • John Saul (author)
  • John 5 (music)
  • Dawn of Ashes (music)
  • Hocico (music)
  • Grendel (music)
  • Psyclon Nine (music)
  • Bhutan (country)
  • Caodaism (religion)
  • Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill (book)
  • Vincent by Tim Burton (short fim)
  • Sugar (short film...adorable!!)
  • Spider (short film)
  • Alice's Adventures In Wonderland by Charles Lutwidge Dodgson (book)
  • To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee (book)

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Ahh the insanity of a couple of days.......

Wow. My apologies guys, for not blogging until now, but things have been a bit crazy around here. As some of you know, Chrix went to the ER the other night-he had been vomiting for 16 hours, without relent, and so his brother took him. I didn't get word until the next night-they kept him on IV fluids and prescribed Zofran. Ahhh..the miracle drug Zofran, that magically stops nausea and vomiting. Why don't they sell that over the counter yet?! Haha. He's okay, and had no other symptoms-just exhausted, as anyone would be that was sick. Thank you again to those of you who kept me company and let me worry on your shoulder-it means alot to me that you all are there.

Good news-I've got three movies for ya'll to check out!! I suppose we'll jump into those, shall we?

Human Centipede

Yes. I saw the "controversial" film last night-and thought it was brilliant. The film begins by introducing two girls, somewhere in their twenties I would assume, that are away on a "road trip" through Europe. They want to visit a club, but along the way, get lost, and their tire blows out. I know, I know.......typical set-up. They get out of the car and walk to a house to ask to call for help. A man answers the door, that lives alone. Turns out he is a "mad surgeon" (think of a mad scientist, but..surgical. Lol.) and is attempting to create a "triplet Siamese twin" set by connecting the intestinal tracts of three people. He chooses these girls, and a man, and the events then unfold after the man kidnaps an Asian tourist and has his three "subjects."

Many people already have preconceived notions about this film, and I will admit, I did too. I mean-it isn't very hard to, when you hear the synopsis for the film. Coming from the IFC network, you already know this is an independent film..and those who know me well, know that I cannot resist independent films. I was expecting gore, violence, and well..with the connection of intestinal tracts, a great deal of "gross out" moments. I am proud to say that this film does not have many of those, if any at all. I think the most disgusting part is when one of the girls frees herself, and upon doing so, an IV is ripped out of her arm...and that was not even gory-I definitely would have closed my eyes for that had I seen it coming, but after, thought "REALLY?! That's it?" Haha. While this definitely isn't for children (there is a bit of vulgar language, not to mention the subject matter), I'd recommend everyone sees this at least once that is into horror films, or thrillers, or anything along those lines.

The Lovely Bones

I also watching this one last night. I had read the book a few weeks ago, so while I knew what was happening, I was pleasantly surprised. The filmmakers made changes to the story-well, left some of it out-as always, and while I wish they had left certain parts in, I wasn't disappointed with how things turned out. The cinematography alone is a great reason to see this film-the scenery of the "In-Between," as it is called in the story, is breathtaking. The story is of a 14 year old girl that is murdered, and watches her family while she is in the "In-Between." Her family must learn to cope with her disappearance and death on their own terms, and while this is a film about an attempt to find her killer and to gain justice, it is also about the power of healing after experiencing the traumatic death of a family member and friend. I wish I could go into more detail as to the storyline, however, if you have neither read the book nor seen the film, it will ruin the story. Overall, I'd give this movie a watch, as there is no gore, hardly any violence, and has a beautiful message to send if you are a deep-thinker. I do recommend reading the book beforehand though, just so that you can see the differences and don't get too confused. The book goes into more details of course. ;]

Blindness

This film came out in 2008, and is a bit old, but if you haven't seen it yet, I would put this at the top of your queues, or whatever you may use to keep a working title list of films. This one is about a virus going around that makes people go blind, and shows the effects of it on these people. That's not all-they are quarantined to an area where only those blind people are allowed by the government, and are constantly under watch and treated..well, like anyone secluded in a guarded area by the government would be. Some family members join their loved ones in this area-I believe by pretending they are blind, but you'll have to excuse me if I'm wrong about that, because it's been awhile since I've seen this film haha. It shows how people bond together to survive-not only while inside of this area, but after they are released from it as well. It also shows how people separate themselves in order to survive, when the government stops caring about its people and begins treating them like animals. One warning: there is a scene in this film that is disturbing, and involves..well, the women basically have to "earn" food rations from a group that begins to turn violent, and I'll leave it at that....pretty self-explanatory I hope. While the scene only happens one time (you'll know why after) I feel the need to warn you, because not everyone can handle that sort of thing...I know I walked away from the film myself during that part, because I myself cannot handle violence against women.

I found this film to be disturbing, but beautiful-and only disturbing, because the thought of going blind is in itself disturbing. This is a great film for anyone interested in society, viruses, treatment of people by the government, and many many other genres too. I honestly feel this is a film everyone should see at least once, if not more times, because every time you see it, you figure something new out, whether it involves your feelings and emotions through the film and on the subject matter, or figuring things out within the film itself.


So there you are folks-three films, highly recommended, by yours truly. If anyone has the chance to see these films, or has already seen any of them, I'd love to hear your thoughts-whether that happens on here in the comments, or on my Facebook page, or anywhere else for that matter haha.

I will leave you all with that for the night-the Red Wings lost tonight, Chrix just fell asleep, and I am on my way to join him in dreamland. I hope all of you are doing well!!

2 comments:

Nunya said...

:O Bless your heart. Phenergran also is a miracle drug-instantly stops all nausea and vomiting. ER's always suck, I went there 0ctober '09 for bronchitis, a lot of good that done...gave me an inhaler, cough medicine and said essentially "don't let the door hit you on your way out!"

*~Tallahassee~* said...

Yeah, they treat Chrix the same way too sometimes. Makes me angry, because he has a heart condition and all. I wish ERs would pay more attention to people..think of how many lives could be saved if they did. =\